First Grappling Form- First Movement (after the opening movement)

Hello, everyone! :)

I was going to draw a fresh set of sketches for today's post, since I have to show the application of the first two movements of our Grappling Form and I still don't have anyone to demonstrate this stuff on.

Fortunately- I have finally mastered one of the legendary techniques from the Ninja of Konohagakure- The Kage Bunshin No Jutsu!

So- I decided to put it to use by summoning up a shadow clone on whom I can demonstrate the throw.


Now- against empty air the movements have these two main components:

The one legged stance with the outward block:



And the inward sweeping movement that ends in the horse stance like this. I admit that my horse stance looks rather narrow in this photo. You can get into a lower stance if you like.


This movement is done first to the left, then to the right. I am sure that I will not need to explain the block and throw to the right in next week's post. A form like this one contains some movements that get repeated with the left and right hands. It helps a lot to practice any kind of technique in its left-handed and right-handed format.


So- against an opponent it would look something like this...




The following circumstances make this throw come natural to me:

1. The opponent has led with the hand that corresponds with my blocking hand. He led with the left hand, I blocked with the left hand. This has closed off the opponent's centre line and briefly held the threat of the opponent's other hand at bay.

2. The opponent's lead arm- that is the one that corresponds with his lead foot- was extended. This is what we see with jabs or the oi zuki (stepping punch) of Karate. Had the rear arm been extended- like in the case of a reverse punch (gyaku zuki for Karate people and Black Tiger for Kungfu people) or a right cross I would have found myself countering with another type of throw.

3. The form does not show this very clearly, but my outer thigh is against the opponent's outer thigh or the back of his leg before I twist into the horse stance. If my outer knee or outer thigh was against the opponent's inner leg a different throw would be called for.

The throw itself is fairly simple, but can prove impossible to do if you have a poor stance and your qi is not sunk. Before I guide my opponent over my leg both my feet are firmly on the ground. My heels are not raised. My arms do not really do any work. The sweeping arm just holds on to the opponent. The movement that pushes him over my leg to trip him up comes from my hips rotating into the horse stance.

I have to mention here- even if it is very briefly- that it is really important to learn how to fall properly if you are going to practice throws with someone on a regular basis and the Uke (that is the person that is getting thrown) has to know how to fall before you can start throwing him/ her.

Well- with a picture being better than a thousand words I have very little else to tell you about this technique. Next week we look at the takedown that comes after this throw in the Form.
Let's hope that my shadow clone does not mind... ;)

Until next week- Stay well and train hard! :)




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ cũng như dịch vụ ship hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ nhận mua hộ hàng mỹ từ website nổi tiếng Mỹ là mua hàng amazon về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan