De Yi Qin Na Daolu- The First Grappling Form



Hi, everyone! 

This form was created while I was writing the first book. It was not the first form I have created, but I like this one better than its predecessors because I paid extra attention to the movements at the time because I had to explain it in the book.

While I prefer to have a more realistic approach to my solo training forms give me a chance to practice those techniques that I would not often use in sparring or perhaps even in a real fight, but that are fundamental.

If you have learnt only punching and kicking, you are not really ready to defend yourself. Grappling plays a huge part in a fight and even if you don't like using it, you can't stop your adversary from using it in a fight.

That is what this form is about- grappling. Of the four takedowns that feature in it one is what I call defensive while the other 3 are what I refer to as aggressive takedowns.
Defensive takedowns use the momentum of an opponent directing his force towards you. They start by pulling the opponent towards you.  Offensive takedowns are used against those opponents who are not making any committed attacks at the time or who prefer not to extend any limbs towards you for you to grab and pull. These takedowns start by pushing the opponent.

In the weeks to come we will look at each technique featured in this form in isolation and discuss its application and look at what makes it work.

If you have found the relevant pages of my book you can read about the breathing and posture to be used when practicing this form. 

You are welcome to try it out if you like. It has only 19 movements. That is a lot less than most Karate forms. The form is also meant to be practiced at slow speed, so- take your time.

See you next week! :) 




































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan