First Grappling Form- Second Grappling Movement- Single Leg Take-down



I'll be frank- I suck at wrestling.

When I have learnt Judo I have formed the opinion that throws and take-downs are meant for defense and not for attack at all. That was until I have learnt throws like the one in last week's post and the one in today's post.

While I like to catch an opponent's arm and pull him into a hip or shoulder throw the majority of partners with whom I have sparred in a free sparring situation simply does not commit their forward momentum so much into an attack to make the pulling throws like the hip throw or shoulder throw work as well as they do in demonstrations.

This take-down, however, works better the more your opponent tries to stand still or retreat.

In the form the movement starts in a cat stance with the lead hand going up while the rear hand is chambered like when one is preparing to punch.




Then the lead hand swoops down and the rear hand pushes forward as the body shifts forward into a bow/ forward stance. The upper body leans into the push as the withdrawing hand comes to rest only a little bit away from the knee.
 





This take-down was discussed in my first book and because of that I did not need to create another copy of myself to show you the application.


While the lead hand merely slowly rises up in the form it can be used in different manners to get the same effect- which is to draw the opponent's attention. Whether you lead with a jab, a palm strike, merely waving upward or jab at the opponent's eyes with your fingers- this movement is the obvious movement.


The not-so-obvious, but very important part of the takedown is the hand swooping down to hook around the back of the knee and sharply pull it up and towards you.

In the form you push with the other hand at the same time, but we know that pushing with the shoulder also works well in a clinch.

If you own a copy of Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do you would recognise these sketches. Bruce Lee knew about this technique back in the 60's.   





Nowadays it is all too familiar to MMA enthusiasts.



Sports applications of this movement seem to encourage the user of the technique following the opponent to the ground. If ground fighting is your thing you could go for it if you are certain that it is a one-on-one encounter and that it will stay that way when you are on the ground, but I don't like doing that. I am just much more comfortable on my feet.

With a technique this simple there is really not much more to say about it.

See you again soon with my next post! Until then- good training!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan