My first WSKF competition


Who's that handsome judge on the left? :D







I'm back from my first karate tournament in more than a decade and got something to take home from it- besides medals...

For one thing- I have learnt anew what perseverence means and how it gets tested. 

I participated in both a kata and kumite event- and judged for a while.

I enjoyed doing my kata and can say in all honesty that the kumite was actually fun- even though my endurance got pushed to a new limit...

About that- I have often said that I don't get why we were made to do all those fitness exercises and running if your time on the floor is only a minute at most and then it's done... Well- the WKF rules have done something about that-

Now we have a 3 minute bout. (Okay MMA people! I know you are used to fighting for longer times in the cage, but bear with me here...)

In the first couple of seconds it was all well as reflexes got a jump start and we found that all systems are functioning well, but as the time went on I found that it becomes more and more difficult to put up a good fight as my energy began to wane. As if that wasn't enough- I had a minute of rest before facing a fresh new opponent! How do you like them apples?!



Just finished doing Jion...
Still- I must admit that the new WKF rules helped make the tournament safe and fun. Sports karate has developed a lot over the years and I am glad to see that it has become refined to the point where it is now.


And if I pass this mae geri I have only those two fists to take care of...

Another positive point is the good sportsmanship and control that I have experienced with my two opponents from Hazyview. I know such things are not guaranteed in the Nationals, but I am more convinced now that the WSKF karateka of the Lowveld are all excellent people.

That judge has a very good eye... :D


What?! Still not done yet?! Oiiii...


You can kick over here... while I mosey on over there...

Now that my WSKF duties are done for a while as far as I am concerned (really- just a while until it doesn't hurt to do chin-ups. Ironically enough the only injury I got was at a Gasshuku the previous where one of these fine gentlemen overestimated my skeleton's resilience.) I am going to take it easy for two weeks and take some time to recover.

Then I need to work on getting videos for this blog...  

Lastly- a BIG thank you to Shairley Yang who came with to support me.

Until we meet again- I wish you all a great week ahead and a rewarding time at training.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan