How were we meant to fight?

Mixed Martial Arts is actually ancient. Even karate came from combining techniques from different styles. Taekwondo even more so.

Bruce Lee is well-known for pointing out that a style is a mere crystalisation of what is actually real. Let's face it- real fights are chaotic and each traditional style attempts to find order in this chaos.

That is why I am convinced that Jeet Kune Do was not developed by asking "what works?", but rather- "How were we meant to fight?"

Bruce Lee made no mention of Qigong in his Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I get the idea that he did not like it much...

When I developed Wenhsiuquan I did not want to abandon what I trust in a quest for formlessness. This was because form gave me efficiency. The question I asked when selecting my style's techniques was: "How will my energy best be utilised?"

It is for this reason that the techniques of Wenhsiuquan do come from different styles, but at the same time also belong together. The one easily flow from the other and any one of them can be launched from a fighting stance.

Another important element all these techniques share is that jing is easily channelled through them. This means amongst that the minimum amount of effort is used to hit as hard as possible- and to move as quickly as possible.

Train hard. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan