Taking time to learn



Hello, everyone. 

You see this list below? This is what I use to make sure that I practice all the katas that I have learnt. Saturdays are easy. On Saturdays I practice all 5 Heian katas and all 3 Tekki (Naihanchi) katas from Karate.

On Sundays I practice Taijiquan and my kata and fighting practice is on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It used to be two katas per morning just before I finish my workout, but- as you can see- the katas have now been put together in groups of 3. 



3 of these katas are brand new to me and there are also some old katas of mine that I have decided to brush off and add to my list for regular practice.

One kata that I have really enjoyed learning is Gekisai Ichi from Goju Ryu. I just list it as "Gekisai" in my Kata Rotator because it is the only Gekisai that I will be practicing- well... for now...

The kata first came to my attention when Jesse taught it to another martial arts Youtuber in one of his videos. Then- when one of my martial artist friends on Facebook showed a video of him doing it I decided to study the video and learn the kata for myself. 

Having so many Japanese based katas was getting kind of boring, so I decided that a nice Okinawan based kata would be really nice to learn.

With Karate I have long since thrown off my fear of looking silly. Once you get that part right- learning kata is really a lot of fun. 

This kata, however, is really short and learning the sequence did not take me so long.

Next week, however, I will show you a Chinese kata or taolu as the Wushu people call it. Learning that one took me a couple of hours. I will then tell you how I have managed to memorise the movements.

Until then- have fun training!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan