My Nanquan Form



My introduction to Kung Fu was the 48 Form Set of Taijiquan that was created in the 1950's. I have only gotten the feel of actually channeling qi into martial arts movements, though, when I learned Shaolin Kung Fu.

That had led among other things to me creating a custom made Taijiquan form (The words "form" and "set" are sure to confuse a lot of people who do not study Kung Fu. Since Karate people call katas "forms", however, I also call Kung F sets "forms").

I was satisfied to have my Taijiquan form for practice of a Wudang based martial art and the 5 Ainimal Set as a faorm for practicing an art from Shaolin.

Then- as you know- I have started writing my book on Kung Fu forms. So- I have looked through my collection of martial arts material and found this video from a while back.  


Now... for a long time I was happy to practice my 20 katas from Karate, rotating them in groups of 2 to be practiced two days every week, but then I have decided to dust off my 5 Animal Set and to learn two extra forms. The form in the video was just named "Nanquan", but I have seen that Nanquan is actually a style of Kung Fu with more than just this particular form.

So- with the decision to learn 2 more forms for weekly morning practice I have taken to learning this very form.




While Shaolin Kungfu may be over a millenium old, Nanquan was created in 1960, by combining a number of Southern Kung Fu styles that were already in existence. Hence the name "Southern Fist" or "Nanquan".

This form has strong Shaolin elements that I really like and the similarity to Karate with that low sweeping block and punch/ palm thrust combination helped making learning this form a lot easier as it felt far less awkward to me than a Kung Fu form would if it had no similarity to Karate at all.

Only after having recorded the video did I realise that my stances are not half as low as this little girl's.

Nonetheless- I plan to be practicing this form many more times from that time on... 
 

Comments

  1. Thank you!!!
    Chi phí vận chuyển đường sắt là điểm mạnh của vận tải Ratraco Solutions. Ngoài ra, Ratraco Solutions còn cung cấp các dịch vụ như: Vận chuyển xe máy Bắc Nam, vận chuyển ô tô, vận chuyển container đường bộ... Liên hệ vứi chúng tôi để được tư vấn cụ thể hơn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan