Now I know 14 katas!


I have been working a lot on my speed lately. At the dojo Sensei has told us that competition fights are now being won by those who can cross long distances the fastest to deliver a gyakuzuki.

Having taken it upon myself to give spectators a bit more to watch than just a gyakuzuki contest I have taken it to heart and streamlined my kicks as well. Fact is- there are some pretty fast people out there. Nonetheless- timing beats speed anytime, so we wil not get obsessed about it.

Amidst the hustle and bustle for the last tournament I have managed to learn 2 new katas, though. Having left karate all those years ago and having moved through 12 katas when I joined the other dojo in 2014 before leaving again have not really enabled me to settle down and learn new katas. Besides- I have been busy working on WSKF basics for the last couple of months since my joining, since it needed a lot of tuning up.

Nonetheless- the fates were kind. Now I have Gojushiho Sho and Kanku Dai. This gives me 2 katas for every day of the week now as I aleady know 5 Heian kata, 2 Tekki kata, Hangetsu, Jion, Enpi, Bassai Dai and Meikyo! 

Sometimes I do kata at the start of my workout- to warm up. At other times- at the end. I do make sure that I do each one often enough, though.

That's it for today.

Enjoy the video!. The song is GJ by Babymetal. 

Stay well!    







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan