Dust off the Weighted Vest. We have training to do.


I was able to stay off this blog for 2 weeks after our President announced the Lockdown on 26 March. I thought it was going to be over really soon (like the 17th of April)- then it got extended.





Going to the gym is out now.

And- going to the gym is what I normally do on Fridays, because on Fridays I hit the heavy bag there and do conditioning.


For reasons that I would rather not explain the landlords here do not want me to put up any kind of punching bag that is attached to the house.

And- last one I had that was not attached to the house was... ummm

Yes. It did not last.


Nonetheless- I wanted to fill the bag's time with something else...


I think you now understand how I got to this point. So- this is more or less the Friday morning workout for the next 3 Fridays (regardless of whether the Lockdown gets extended any further, because after this month I will either work or die resisting arrest after slicing up some people...)

My weighted vest got recovered from the dark recesses of my room, the wrist and ankle weights got gathered together and- for good measure- I am actually wearing gloves! :D



I have written a post about this kind of training before. I have seen versions of it in some forgettable dubbed kung fu movies and we know that it was made famous among this generation by the Dragonball animes.



Narutar- I mean- Naruto fans will also tell you that this is the kind of training endorsed by Gay- I mean- Guy Sensei and his prize student Rock Lee.


Related image

Related image


So- how to go about it?

Well- I really won't prescribe any set way for anyone. I will just say that- if your martial art style does not involve any high kicking you will probably not find any value in it. It it uses striking, then... yeah maybe...

Grapplers- Go lift a sack of rice or something... unless you want to incorporate striking into your style- which is not a bad idea if you plan to fight outside your style.



Well- those who know me know that I am no stranger to solo training. 

Some of you who have been following this blog for some time might remember that I have actually developed solo training to such an extent that it actually helps with actual fighting.



It is not such a big secret and I am also not the type of person who beats around the bush with this kind of stuff. If you want to know why it helps- I will tel you.

The first thing to remember is that you do need some actual sparring experience to make this work. You must have a memory for reference so that you know how you will perform under actual pressure.



Second thing is- sure: Kata/Taolu/ Forms and basics are good to practice, but- once you get to actual fighting you have to put your syllabus and whatever sequences you were told to use aside and start thinking about what works best in what situation.



So- while I did make one almost symmetric kata to go through, just for fun and to relax- I have spent most time imagining a single opponent while attacking from left or right fighting stance and multiple opponents attacking from different directions.



Sure- I did get the knowledge of what to use when from existing katas, but I had no sequence.



Instead of thinking of what technique to practice next I think of different ways in which I can get attacked and how I would deal with it.

And- I have added high kicks so that the ankle weights could do their work. :) 

I slowed down my movements, because I found out some time ago that those weights can actually fly right off you if you move too fast.

Still- slowing down lets the relevant muscles work a bit harder- especially if you have to keep a weighted foot in the air a bit longer than what you are used to.

And- if you feel like using your hara makes it too easy and that you are actually cheating- you are not cheating. You are learning proper posture and efficient use of body mechanics. :)

Best part, though, is the next time you let rip without the weights...  

Well... that is it from me for now...

Good luck to all of you. To my fellow South Africans- hang in there. We have the virus on the ropes now. Let's knock it down for good by staying home for the entire 3 weeks ahead!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan