The Jian- Elegant Weapon of the Chinese Hero



Of all the weapons that I have collected, this one was the last. Liking Ninjutsu and the weapons that I have seen in many Ninja movies- the Jian or Chinese Straight Sword was not high on my list of weapons to get.

Besides- if there was a sword to get the Japanese Katana would be the ultimate sword to have, right?

Right...?

As it would happen, though- after finishing high school I have developed an increasing love for Kung Fu and Chinese martial arts movies.

I am running the risk of seriously digressing here and we have not yet even started, but, let me say this-

My boss at the time- Mrs Ku- opened my eyes to a whole new world of martial arts movies when she showed me this movie called the Duel.



You might not know this, but among martial arts movies in China- the Jian has a whole genre (or maybe sub-genre) of movies dedicated to it. The most famous movie in this genre is definitely Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon that I have seen 20 times so far.





Related image

Needless to say- soon after watching the first sword movie- I wanted a Jian.

Also- the strong Wudang reference in Crouching Tiger had me even more interested in Taijiquan than I already was, but...

Let's stick to the topic...



The Jian is a stabbing weapon. That is what most Kung Fu writers will tell you. When you actually start learning the techniques, though, you find that it has a fair amount of parries and slashes as well.

I regard swords to be part of a group of weapons that I call "final" weapons because any time that you are faced with a person holding such a weapon can be your last.

Movies and television have shown us really nice, long choreographed sword fights, but in reality either combatant can die within a second or less.

Sure- you might not die immediately, but fighting with a stab wound is not something that I would willingly do.

I know how to parry with the straight sword. I just don't think you should fall too deeply in love with the idea of parrying with a sword. Last sword that I have parried had sliced across my fingers, making a huge mess.

If you have to parry, though, the rigid half closest to the handle is what you want to use.

I really don't know why, but most (not all) jian are made to be flexible and the half closest to the tip is usually soft and bendy. You would not want that to have any contact with the other guy's weapon.

Soft or not, however, I have found that this blade can cut like a helicopter's rotor blade if it is swung fast enough.

If there is one thing that a sword fight teaches us it is:

"DON'T WASTE TIME"

Indecision kills.

Being a weapon that mainly uses straight, direct thrusts, it also teaches you to go for an opening as soon as it presents itself. There is no time for flowery swinging and twirling motions. Just put the sharp end into the other guy as soon as you get the chance!

Apart from these brutal lessons the Jian still symbolises the beauty of Chinese warrior ethics and I often feel reminded of chivalry and heroism whenever I hold this weapon.

Join me next week when I talk about the Japanese sword.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan