Defense Form: Movement #5- Block in Cat Stance and Reverse Punch



I could probably have called the movement "Tiger Bares Teeth and Black Tiger Steals Heart" because that is more or less what Kung Fu students would call it.

Still- the stances featured in this movement and the techniques used are common to both Karate and Kung Fu. They can be found in Korean Arts like Taekwondo as well.

The block itself here does not use the tiger claw hand form that is seen in Shaolin Kung Fu. If you want to use it, however, I really have no objection. To me the fingers spread apart like in the tiger claw form indicates a readiness to grab the opponent's wrist upon blocking it. In Kung Fu the tiger claw can also be used to dig into the punching arm's bicep, disabling that arm from further use in the fight.

What I have done here, however, is a simple block and a punch. Really straightforward, actually. The stuff one teaches white belts...

Nonetheless- I thought it a good idea to summon a shadow clone to show you some of the applications to this particular movement.

The one that is the closest to what is being done in the Form is this one:


As my opponent punches I simply sink into Cat Stance and my blocking hand intercepts the punching hand halfway. By the time that fist passes my hand the block would connect, knocking the punch off course. Under ideal circumstances it would be a jarring impact that has the opponent off-balance for a millisecond or so, but in most cases you ought to at least have cleared a path for your punch.

If you blocked the opponent's arm across his centre line you have done well. In a case like this, however, where I have actually opened up the centre line, I would waste no time delivering that punch.

I agree that hip rotation is the best way to put power into a reverse punch. In this case, however, you won't have that at your disposal. The power in this case comes from throwing your weight forward as you push your hips into the forward stance. If you manage to throw that forward momentum into your punch you will be able to hit your opponent with your body weight concentrated into your fist at a really high velocity.

The second application deviates from the Form, but utilises the one-legged nature of the Cat Stance. 

I like fighting sideways at times. Whether I am fighting side ways or not, a simple twist of the hips can be enough to pull me clear from danger. In a long stance like this the twist will then also shorten the stance.

In this case my straddle stance (not really sure if my kamae here is a horse or a square stance, but it works) becomes a cat stance.  


My opponent lunges in with a combination of punches (or at least the first punch thereof). I twist my hip and as I land into cat stance, my lead leg becomes free to kick. I stop the opponent dead in his tracks with the kick, interrupting his attack. The punch then follows to completely knock the fight out of him.


Next week we will look at the last movement in this form. :)


I hope you have been enjoying these posts so far. Hope to see you again next week! :)


Stay well and train hard! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan