How Much?!!!


As you already know- I train and practice on a regular basis-

I meditate daily-

And it does not cost me a cent!




To be honest- I have never realised that people would actually be willing to pay to have someone teach them to meditate. Unlike martial arts that have layers upon layers of techniques meditation is something in which you can get far by sticking to what you have been taught at the beginning.

Sure- I paid  money for the magazine from which I have learnt my first meditation exercises and also for the books, but after that practice was free of charge.



Still- I see lots of people paying month after month for going to this or that class...

And people tend to think I am crazy...

Umm... well... I guess people can spend their money as they see fit, but it looks like many of these people believe that whatever benefits they seek from meditation can only be obtained by attending that particular class on a regular basis- for which they have to pay of course.

I guess if the instructor is really attractive I would fully understand...

Likewise- I have met quite a few people who have told me that they used to train in a martial art at this dojo or that and then left for whatever reason. In many cases these people have trained long enough to know what exercises were to be done during each class. They even knew a number of katas.

Still- they just left it. No dojo- no training...

What do you think these guys would say about that?

The way I see it- Once you have started at a dojo and trained long enough to have learnt something- you have homework.

This is because knowledge is not the only gift that the martial arts have to offer us. The skills, strength and abilities we gain are ours to keep as long as we maintain these things with regular training.



It is true that staying in a dojo will enable you to learn new forms, maybe new techniques and to get a new belt, but I think it is much better to have no belt, but all your abilities, than all the belts there are to gain, but no ability at all.



It is for this reason why I do not have a belt grading system of any kind. I think it may become necessary when I have a larger group of students to teach (especially if it has students who actually stick around long enough to learn something), but even if I start implementing such a system gradings are likely to be very far apart for some people...

I think I have just talked myself out of it now... :D

I get that not everybody thinks the way I do. That is fine. If going to a martial arts class twice a week and paying for it works for you- I can respect that and even see the benefit thereof. Just remember that what you do makes as much a difference as what your teacher does (or has done) in whether what you learn is worth something or not.

That's it from me for now.

I miss G+, but I have just opened up Wenhsiuquan's first Facebook page!

Do come visit and say "hi"! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan