Five Ways to Win- Something from Sun Tzu's Art of War


"So there are five ways of knowing who will win. Those who know when to fight and when not to fight are victorious. Those who discern when to use many or few troops are victorious. Those whose upper and lower ranks have the same desire are victorious. Those who face the unprepared with preparation are victorious. Those whose generals are able and not constrained by their governments are victorious. These are the five ways to know who will win."

- Sun Tzu- Art of War


Who is up for some ancient Chinese wisdom?

I think this generation of martial artists desperately need some just to ensure that the martial arts of today are not all about tournaments, planking, plyometrics, sports science, nutrition, cage fighting and hardcore entrance music. Did I leave anything out?

Well- I guess you know what I am talking about.

I can remember when I read a remark by one of China's famous martial arts teachers in the 1970's in which he said that students have come to call their teachers "coach".

Although I could not recall anyone in any of the karate classes that I have attended who would dare call a Sensei anything other than "Sensei" I could understand where this was coming from. Fighting sports are the foremost medium through which people get introduced to martial arts. On top of that- a large number of students are content to practice their style as just that- a sport.

So- does a sport have a teacher or a coach? I think you can see how this happens now...

Well-  Fortunately there are bloggers like me around who make sure that you get to read some of the teachings of the Old Masters to show you that some of the answers you may be looking for existed centuries before you were even born. :)

Some time ago I have quoted here and there from Musashi Miyamoto's Book of Five Rings. I have decided to have another look at The Art of War.

Where the Book of Five Rings contain guidelines on sword fighting that get applied to everyday life the Art of War contains guidelines on the management of armies that get applied by readers to everyday life.

I have picked the passage at the top of this page for discussion. It contains 5 factors that Sun Tzu says to determine victory.

So... Next week's post shall be about knowing when to fight and when not to fight to get us started!

Until then- Stay well and train hard! :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan