Function and Form


Hi, everyone

Recently I have made the fat gathering around my waist my enemy and have kicked my training into high gear to burn as much of it as possible.

That is one of the things for which a style with punches and kicks is good for. Personal trainers tell us that to burn fat we have to use as many muscles as we can and focus on large muscles rather than just the limbs. Well- those high kicks don't just come from the legs...

In fact- even a simple punch involves the use of other muscles than those of the arm.


It was in this heightened enthusiasm that I have decided to shift my focus away from things like turning my leg so that my roundhouse kick hits with the flat part of my instep rather than the edge of the foot on the big toe's side and move it towards hitting and kicking hard and on time.

Well- one of the main effects of doing that is that you get faster and strike harder, but the other is that one's technique just does not look as beautiful.

This seems to be an inescapable truth for us.

I love Kungfu and spend a lot of time on it. I have to admit, though- the only time I saw kungfu moves look as beautiful and crisp in a fight as they do in forms was in a movie.


Image result for wushu

Image result for wushu

Image result for wushu


So- what if people moved in forms as if they were really attacking and defending? Ummm well... I reckon it would look something like Kyokushin katas.



Image result for kyokushin karate kata

Image result for kyokushin karate kata

Image result for kyokushin karate kata


If you are training by yourself this is something that you have to keep in mind. If your plan is to just learn as many forms as possible and do them perfectly- then stay out of fights.

I have a couple of katas that I do for training and the blows in each of them can break bones. These katas won't win a gold medal at any tournament, though.


Related image


Likewise- I can focus on things like foot placement, the distance between my elbow and ribs and get a medal, but I won't dare be bothered with this kind of stuff while fighting.

Keep well and train hard!

I notice now that I am already at the second last post for this year!

What ever shall I write about next week? :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan