Taiji Movement #6- Brush Knee and Push (and other related movements


Hello again!

This is acutally one of the simplest of movements that appear in every Taiji form that I have seen.

I was planning to do a post on its application as a simultaneous lower parry and push and show how other similar techniques get used in the Wudang arts, but must admit that Sifu Iain has a much cooler application for this movement- as is shown in the Youtube videos that I have linked below...


Image result for brush knee and push

In Shaolin Kungfu we have a move called the "Green Dragon" and to put it very simply it is a downward block that is accompanied by a tiger palm strike.

The value of attacking while defending cannot be overemphasised since a lot of seasoned fighters only provide you with an opening when they are actually attacking. Fighters who are too focused on evading or blocking at the cost of their own counterattack miss that opportunity to attack.

The ability to defend and attack at the same time of course also stops your opponent from letting his attack escalate into something that is impossible to control.




In the video below I first do the classical "Brush Knee and Push" as if I am passing a front kick from my side and pushing my opponent over. After that I parry an imaginary opponent's mid-level punch to the side and push and lastly I redirect a face punch upwards and away while pushing into my opponent.



Sifu Iain's Taiji is actually the best that I have seen on Youtube for years now. His videos also give the best explanations- much like another Iain to whom I look up a lot.

Sifu Iain is not showing lower parry and push, though.

He actually shows how you can shake off a grappling opponent like a dog shakes water off its body by maintaining that ever-important rooting and using that hip rotation.


The two videos are here:

https://youtu.be/9UlKhsH0NEw

https://youtu.be/inA4oqaBJ4s

This concludes my posts on Taiji movements. These posts are my response to that video that seems to have destroyed people's faith in Taijiquan. 

I have applied Taijiquan in fights and sparring matches myself and have found that it provides an edge in grappling situations. It also provides space in a clinch situation and actually simplifies that panicky situation where an opponent has you cornered and pelts you with blows.

My only advice on using Taiji is not to fight like a boxer or a Greco-Roman wrestler. Maintain your posture and maintain your calm. Taiji is not done with a flinching spirit, buts meets attacks and redirects them or absorbs them and attacks with the devastating power of gravity itself.

Much of this forms part of Wenhsiuquan. While it is not really suited for points competition- it is the basis of a good defense.


Stay well, everyone and train hard!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tai Chi Movement #3- Wave Hands like Clouds

Blindfold training

The Reverse Crescent Kick in Taijiquan